(Redford, Charles H., Philip Jr., Philip Sr., John Sr., Peter I, Peter Gerardus, Jean)

William Clark was the second son born to Redford and Julia (Stillwell) Caverly. He was named after Redford’s second youngest brother. It is believed that Clarke was the maiden name of Redford’s grandmother Maria and it was common to use a maiden name for middle names. He was born April 5, 1872 in Bingham Twp., Huron Co., Michigan.  William’s mother Julia died in 1884. His father married Susannah Baker in 1887 and in the early 1890s the family moved to Elkton. That is where William met and married Mary Jane Feekings, daughter of John and Lydia (Service) Feekings. On their Huron Co., MI marriage record #138, William listed himself as a laborer. They were married on Oct. 11, 1896 by Justice Albert A. Brown with their fathers as witnesses.

Their first child, William Lester, was born Jan. 19, 1897 and died ten months later. In the circa 1916 picture below are Thomas born 1903, Clarence born 1898, William born 1872, Mary born 1879, and Margaret born 1913 with her doll at her feet. A daughter Helen Isabelle died at birth in 1909.

The Huron Co., MI birth certificate for Clarence in 1898 shows William’s occupation as a roofer and shingler. Nine years later in the Dec. 20, 1907 issue of The Huron Tribune we find a column on real estate transactions showing property in section 22 of Chandler Township changing from Jno. Drummon, Jr. to William Caverly. On the 1910 U.S. Census for Huron Co., Chandler Twp. William is shown as doing general farming on his own account and owning his farm with a mortgage. The 1920 U.S. census also shows William as a general farmer on his own account. Perhaps a combination of age and “The Great Depression” caused them to go on aid in the 1930s. For several months in 1934 and 1935 they moved to Kingston to live with and take care of his father Redford but it didn’t work out. They returned to Elkton shortly after their daughter Margaret died in April 1935.

William and Mary were quite active in the Odd Fellow and Rebekah Lodges: both of them holding various elected positions throughout the years. Although William was a quiet fellow, Mary was outspoken and liked to know what was going on in her family and with her neighbors.
William died Sept. 4, 1950 of acute coronary thrombosis brought on by arterio sclerotic heart disease. When Mary’s mother Lydia died in 1946 it was all downhill for her. The following year brother-in-law Charles who had been living with William and Mary died. After her husband’s death in 1950 Mary deteriorated to the point where she had to be put in a Bad Axe, MI nursing home. She died there in 1955. Both William and Mary are buried at Riverside Cemetery in Elkton, MI. The picture on the right was probably taken for their 50th. anniversary in 1946.

If you would like to view the PDF format click here
It may take a minute or two for the page to load.

Home - Chat - Forum - Email - The Family
Copyright 2007 All Rights Reserved.